Data Centre Engineer - Data Centre, installation, troubleshooting, firmware, hardware
A Data Centre Engineer is being sought by a leading provider of cloud-enabled enterprise hosting and application management services based in Redhill. This is a permanent position, and will be paying up to £30,000 for the ideal candidate.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role will be focused primarily upon maintaining and supporting solutions for internal departments and external customers whose solutions require connectivity, managed hosting and co-location services as well as assisting in the delivery and operation of managed application hosting solutions and operation of the Data Centres. Additionally, the team will assist in the implementation and decommission of customer solutions as required.
- Accepting escalations from internal teams, troubleshooting and fault escalation, perform routine maintenance, network and server testing to maintain its integrity.
- Providing internal and external customers with timely updates on progress of incidents.
- Troubleshooting and repair of hardware faults and the installation of spares or components as required.
- Working as part of a team, you should have the maturity to work under pressure, and have excellent proven problem solving skills. You will be expected to communicate with corporate clients via telephone, email and face-to-face and should therefore possess good verbal and written communication skills.
- Make regular physical checks of the data centres and facilities.
- Help customers both internal and external with the installation of equipment and hands-on troubleshooting.
- Installation and deployment of equipment both at the Data Centre and in liaison with customers for remote sites.
- Documentation of service configuration and hardware/software solutions according to the service descriptions including entry of key data into operational support systems to reflect current status and progress of all solutions.
- Testing of customer installations to ensure services delivered match or exceed customer expectations.
- Carry out physical checks and audits as required by the business and its customers.
- Manage and maintain data centre security by allowing only authorized personnel access to the data centre facilities
- Update and maintain the CMDB following all changes to equipment or assets.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting Dell and HP Hardware, components and firmware / drivers.
- Ability and drive to create and maintain up-to-date documentation (processes, Visio diagrams, Excel spreadsheets)
- At least 1 year prior experience working for a Data Centre service provider, managed services provider or large corporation in a support role
- Ability to work alone, under own initiative considering the safety of themselves and others at all times
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in working within Data Centres, installing equipment in data racks and an appreciation of how power and cooling operates in such environments
- Copper and fibre cabling - types, installation, termination
- Data Centre qualifications (BICSI/CDCDP or part thereof)
- Microsoft qualifications (MCSE or part thereof)
- Linux qualifications (LPIC, RHCE)
- Cisco qualifications (CCNA)
- Juniper qualifications (JNCIA-FWV JNCIS-FWV)
If you would like more information including a full job specification and a chat about the Data Centre Engineer position, please contact me, Danny Wrigglesworth.
Think IT Recruitment is acting as an employment agency for this role under UK Government regulations CEAEBR 2003