So, you're passionate about software delivery and running it in production. You’re skilled in software development but the infrastructure and operations have little secrets for you. You know perfectly well that the code can run it for you. You hate waking up at 2am to production failures and that's why you have monitors for everything, and enough failover or self-healing setup so you can deal with it in the morning. You're fine with rolling out code all the time because if anything unexpected happens, you have it covered and automated. You love to work with development teams and make sure that the tools they are using run fast and reliably. The ‘Continuous Delivery’ by Jez Humble & David Farley is your professional Bible.Great, we're looking for people like you who can help us build and operate infrastructures for software development and delivery. People who are technical experts and get things done by using their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
Great, we're looking for people like you who can help us build and operate infrastructures for software development and delivery. People who are technical experts and get things done by using their smarts and whatever tools make sense to get the job done. People who love to stand on the shoulders of giants to solve new problems and thrive in a rapidly innovating space.
What we'd like you to do
- Take care of our software development tools (source code repos, issue tracker, artifact repos, code review tool, code analysis tool), scale their capacity, fail-proof them.
- Recommend, design & implement our build- and deployment systems, environment and infrastructure.
- Measure everything, improving every possible aspect of development ecosystems, specifically addressing Time to Detect, Time to Respond, feedback delay.
- Improve our continuous deployment process, getting changes rolled out faster and with confidence. Automate every error prone process.
- Improve our configuration management so our systems can be restored from versioned configurations in an automated way.
- Help Dev teams have their systems properly monitored and integrated to alerting systems.
- Tune our systems to get maximum performance and bang for our buck.
- Lead, coach and grow our DevOps practice by bridging development, Ops and QA.
- Become and stay an expert in current and emerging technologies and tools.
- Contribute to Open Source solutions and communities we use wherever you can.
We'd like you to have the following experience and behaviours
- Make things work and get things done.
- Love to leave things better than you found them.
- Really know CI/CD (Jenkins, Go, etc), config management (chef, puppet) and VCS tools (git, mercurial, svn)
- Love to automate anything you've done more than twice.
- Can’t go to sleep if the system going to prod is not graphed.
- Can write a bash one-liner for anything, but know when not to.
- Are happy with virtualisation (ESX), fluent in Ubuntu Linux, knowledgeable in security, familiar with Docker
- Are fluent in at least one dynamic language (python, perl, ruby, etc)
- Can't go to sleep knowing your tests or monitors are failing.
- Love to learn new things and can do so quickly.
- You don't just use the code, you contribute
- Love agile/lean development and delivering code.
- Really know about scalable infrastructure
- Know the pros and cons of all the technology trends in your field.
- Ran production services in the cloud (AWS, Google Cloud) and know where it's awesome and where it hurts
- Make excellent informed decisions and know when to ask for advice
- Know your way around the entire stack, you just prefer DevOps.
- Have a great sense of humour
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used foosball table.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.
Job reference information
|| (Please reference Dice when calling)