The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
The Engineering Manager's role is slightly analogous to the programme manager role providing coordination and aiding efficient use and sharing of available resources across a number of engineering projects/product teams.
The Engineering Managers role is intimately involved with prioritizing multiple, frequently conflicting priorities across engineering projects. With the help of the project managers, the Engineering Manager manages the integration and interaction of multidiscipline engineering teams, resolution of engineering conflicts between disciplines, systems and capabilities.
The Engineering Manager must understand what is being engineered. They must manage the end to end engineering and technical aspects of what is being built often as part of a wider Programme. They will understand and the control the engineering impact on cost, quality, timeliness in order to meet customer and contractual expectations. Because of this, the Engineering Manager is typically from a technical background and can easily work with the engineering teams at a technical level.
The Engineering Manager will have responsibilities across the entire engineering lifecycle from initial bidding to contract closure. They will constantly evaluate ways to improve the Engineering skill set of the Engineers, through the use of appropriate tools or techniques, technical or people coaching, or additional training on fundamental skills
The Engineering Manager ensures the facilitation of improvements by changing approaches and working practices, typically using recognized models, better practices, standards and methodologies. They will also provide advice, assistance and leadership in improving the quality of the engineering output by focusing on process definition, management, assurance, repeatability and measurement.
Ultimately, the Engineering Manager demonstrates communication skills, gaining the respect of others, promotes continuous improvement and is accountable for consistently delivering. Being an Engineering Manager encompasses part mentoring, part client-facing, part project management, part account management and part engineering team PR.
Common role accountabilities include:
- Successfully leading differing project, product, professional services and bespoke engineering projects to agreed project commitments;
- Ensures the consistency and alignment of the Design Reviews and Technical Bid Reviews and input to Phase Reviews
- Determine the level of risk associated with any shortfall in the maturity of the solution to be Bid and the expectations of the Business' Tailoring of the Engineering Lifecycle and devises a plan to mitigate this risk
- Be responsible and accountable for the engineering impact on time, cost and quality.
- Management of resources in order to plan, estimate and carry out programmes
- Ensure all Engineering is carried out in accordance with appropriate standards, methods and procedures
- Ensure their delivery is aligned to prevalent KPIs/business objectives;
- Work within varying financial models such as fixed-price, time & materials, outcome and shared risk/reward;
- Provide appropriate status updates and other reports to specialists, users and managers;
- Overseeing the engineering lifecycle and ensuring outputs are developed to specification within resource and time constraints, and to the required quality standard;
- Determines the approach to maturity management and ensure maturity targets are agreed with key stakeholders
- Ensuring that corporate policies, procedures and standards are utilised appropriately;
- Improving the quality of engineering teams, by focusing on process definition, management, assurance, repeatability and measurement.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Monitors industry innovations and competitive landscape and recommends strategies to obtain competitive advantage
- Monitors for and takes steps to protect company Intellectual Property
- Support continuous improvement by investigating research on alternative technologies, tools and methods;
- Monitors for and takes steps to protect company Intellectual Property
Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please click here.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we're constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we'll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you'll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today's global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Division Overview: Commercial Solutions
BAE Systems has been in the business of protecting some of the world's most important assets and networks for over 100 years. We apply the same techniques, intelligence and strategy used in defending nations and governments to businesses as well. That's us - Commercial Solutions - a division of BAE Systems that specializes in providing businesses around the globe with the products and services they need to stay protected in today's connected world.
We offer a broad portfolio of on premise, managed and cloud-based products and services that are proven to protect our clients againstfinancial crime and persistent cyber attackers.
We aim to be a global industry-leading, cyber and financial crime products business and will do this by leveraging the BAE Systems brand and by delivering higher grade security solutions for our clients.
Help us secure a connected world by being an unseen hero. Apply now and be inspired.