Live Services Engineer (Technical Support, Java, ITIL, Oracle, Testing, SQL, UNIX, Agile)
Salary: £49,400 - £54,600
With 60000+ staff and 50m customers HMRC is one of the biggest organisations in the UK, running the largest digital operation in Government and one of the biggest IT estates in Europe. We have six modern, state-of-the-art digital delivery centres where multiple cross functional agile teams thrive in one of the most dynamic and innovative environments in the UK. We are expanding our Customs & International Trade Delivery Group and are recruiting into a number of posts within the Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Service in Worthing.
About the ExCITE team within CDIO Customs and International Trade (ExCITE)
The ExCITE team specialises in the provision of systems based on Oracle Fusion middleware, Java and messaging. The business areas supported are involved in the risk assessing of goods imported into the UK, excise duties and VAT. The systems communicate with tax authorities in the EU. Two of the systems are maintained on a 24 hour, seven day a week basis.
ExCITE has adopted an Agile and DevOps approach to delivery and live support.
The ExCITE team are expecting to move to a cloud based delivery approach in the near future.
About the Live Services Engineer (Technical Support, Java, ITIL, Oracle, Testing, SQL, UNIX, Agile) role
The ExCITE Applications Management team are seeking a Live Service Developer who will be responsible for supporting the application aspects of multiple live services based on Java and Oracle Fusion middleware. The role will also be involved in delivering enhancements to the systems.
• Investigation and management of live incidents and problems.
• Software fixes for problems and incidents. This requires the ability to analyse problems and then implement software solutions. This will include creating new code, testing and implementing software into a live environment.
• Provision of Out Of Hours (On Call) cover on a rota basis
• Creation and maintenance of support documentation (Live Service Manual, work instructions, etc.)
• Technical Advice/Support to other teams and the customer
• Delivering enhancements to live systems Housekeeping on Live Service and Databases
Mandatory criteria for the Live Services Engineer (Technical Support, Java, ITIL, Oracle, Testing, SQL, UNIX, Agile) role
• Some experience in the use of Oracle Database, PL SQL, UNIX and J2EE, or equivalents
• Java skills in delivering back-end systems
• The ability, skills and an innovative attitude to contribute to improvements to the ways the team operates and maintains the Live Services.
• Good interpersonal skills at all levels, with a ‘can do’ attitude.
• Awareness of Incident, Problem, Risk and Change Management
• Proven experience of working autonomously
• Good analytical skills
• Willingness to work evenings or weekends when occasionally needed to carry out maintenance activities or release code
• Willingness to provide Out of Hours (On Call) cover on a rota basis. This means the candidate should live no more than one hour’s travelling time from the office.
Desirable criteria for the Live Services Engineer (Technical Support, Java, ITIL, Oracle, Testing, SQL, UNIX, Agile) role
• Experience with Oracle Fusion middleware software.
• Working knowledge of Service Management Systems and applications
• Experience of DevOps tooling including Jenkins, Maven etc.
• Experience of automated testing, in particular Selenium and SOAP-UI
• Experience of Maestro Scheduler
• Knowledge of ITIL
• Experience of Agile software development lifecycle methodologies.
To apply for the role of Live Services Engineer (Technical Support, Java, ITIL, Oracle, Testing, SQL, UNIX, Agile), please click the ‘apply now’ button.
Job reference information
|| (Please reference Dice when calling)