Microsoft has a long-standing commitment to participation in standards organizations that reaches across many facets of the information technology industry. Through ongoing investment in software and hardware research & development, Microsoft has contributed significant technology to industry consortia and standards setting organizations. To this end, Microsoft participates in over 150 standard-setting organizations annually, and interacts with a large number of government officials interested in standards.
National Standards Officer for the United Kingdom will be part of the Corporate Standards Group. Though the corporate team is based out of Redmond, WA in the United States, this role will be physically based in United Kingdom . The National Standards Officer will be part of the global team, of other Standards Officers based in different countries who work closely with others in Microsoft such as, product groups, local technical leads, and government affairs staff among others. All members of the standards officer team are experienced, senior industry, and technical leaders in their countries.
We are looking for an experienced technology industry professional based in United Kingdom to represent Microsoft's standards interests through the participation in national, European and international standardization work. The individual in this role will be part of a globally distributed team dedicated to Microsoft's participation in international standards organizations. They will be responsible for developing positive, constructive relationships with the British national body, industry participants, related government officials, academics, research organizations, and other standards participants in order to collaboratively contribute to the development of standards in globally.
The individual who will be successful in this role will work with clarity, credibility and leadership on a complex set of issues with a wide range of stakeholders. While this role will focus principally on achieving positive outcomes on ICT technical standardization issues, the job will also involve some degree of public policy, intellectual property strategy, and business strategy. Furthermore, it is essential that anyone in this role have a deep understanding of what Microsoft's customers and partners need from our technologies, knowledge about the current and future operation of the ICT industry, and an exceptional ability to build alliances. The skills necessary to effectively represent the company's positions in both written and verbal mediums will also be critical. The individual in this role will be expected to work effectively across organizational and geographic boundaries both within Microsoft as well as externally.
Responsibilities will include:
- The ability to articulate and define strategies for Microsoft based on a deep understanding of the impact of information technology in social and economic systems as well as within the business of government.
- Execute the defined strategies through a deep technical standards engagement.
- Be a member in good standing with voting rights in relevant standards bodies in United Kingdom.
- Ensure that Microsoft has effective representation at both the technical and governance level of the relevant standards organizations and constructively contributes to specifications under consideration by those bodies. Maintain effective and collaborative relationships with other participants and leaders within the standards bodies in which Microsoft participates.
- Manage Microsoft's attendance and support of all meetings or conferences convened by standards bodies where Microsoft's interests need to be represented.
- Internally advocate issues or actions that affect Microsoft's ability to successfully sell its products in United Kingdom. Provide detailed and actionable insight and guidance to Microsoft's sales organizations and product development teams as necessary. Work with corporate resources such as legal counsel, public policy teams, and the executive staff to provide guidance for the company to adopt optimal strategies.
- Communicate and coordinate with the global team focused on standards being developed in industry consortia, national, regional, or international standards bodies.
- Work with industry partners, ISV's, government bodies, enterprise customers and academics to find common ground and opportunities for collaboration in the development and implementation of standards.
- Coordinate with internal policy and technical teams in support of particular standards or in support of key policy or technical issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent is required, postgraduate qualifications strongly preferred.
- 10-15 years of experience in similar industry
- Extensive experience (5+ years) in standards setting and similar technical engagement activities.
- Proven technology leadership on standards setting issues is also required.
- Strong technical expertise in ICT
- Solid ability to lean new and complex technologies.
- Expertise in cloud computing, cyber security and/or privacy would be a significant plus
- Depth knowledge of the standards process and standards governance, and a clear understanding of how legal, political, and business environments affect standardization decisions. - Comprehensive knowledge of the standards organizations in United Kingdom and how those organizations interact with international standard setting organizations.
- Excellent communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Exemplary attention to detail, strong project management skills, exceptional political and diplomatic skills and the ability to cultivate relationships with key stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
The person in this role will be expected to travel as required to cover meetings for standards organizations, speaking engagements, conferences, and ongoing contact with a globally distributed team. Additionally, there will be travel for interaction with the Microsoft product organizations and other corporate groups in Redmond, WA. This role may require as much as 40% travel time.
Job reference information
|| (Please reference Dice when calling)