Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL)
Salary: £57,000 - £63,000
With 60000+ staff and 50m customers HMRC is one of the biggest organisations in the UK, running the largest digital operation in Government and one of the biggest IT estates in Europe. We have six modern, state-of-the-art digital delivery centres where multiple cross functional agile teams thrive in one of the most dynamic and innovative environments in the UK. We are expanding our Customs & International Trade Delivery Group and are recruiting into a number of posts within the Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Service in Worthing.
About the Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL) role
The successful candidate will be placed in a mixed-experience team. You will be expected to be involved in all aspects of Java software development. You will code, unit test, build and deploy solutions within multi-discipline teams and work on a variety of projects from SOA integration using ESBs and related technologies to standalone Java web apps and complex back-end component development. Over time, you will be expected to undertake lead responsibility for the delivery of software components, to provide input into architectural decision making and to assist with technical impacting for future work.
Role requirements for the Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL)
The post holder will be responsible for the following:
• Ensuring that coding, unit and integration test activities are carried out correctly and to recognised standards (test creation, test data creation and test execution). You will be responsible for the governance and continued improvement of these standards.
• Contributing to design activities on the team, attending design workshops and contributing to the production of design specifications. Organise and lead all aspects of design activity within the team, as well as lead formal reviews of code and test scenarios.
• Playing an active part in process improvement. Be actively involved in mentoring and coaching other members of the team, ensuring that improvements are understood and associated development skills identified.
• Ensuring compliance with all relevant quality processes and procedures, including completion of all the specified quality records. Act as an escalation point for any related issues and provide prompt updates of problems, issues and risks as well as be involved in the production and validation of man-day impacts.
Essential criteria for the Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL)
As well as demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills at all levels, with a positive 'can do' attitude, the candidate will be experienced in the following:
• Java (EJB 3.x/Spring)
• JPA (Hibernate & Eclipselink)
• XML (xsd creation and xslt transformations)
• Weblogic (10g/11g/12c)
• Web Services (SOAP & REST)
• Spring (ideally MVC and Boot)
• Working on high-volume/distributed systems
• The full software development lifecycle
• Agile / Scrum Projects, with the proven ability to work in a team environment under pressure to deliver quality products to tight deadlines.
• Continuous Integration and Deployment methodology and tooling (especially Maven)
• Oracle database development experience (PL/SQL and schema design)
• Experience of source control systems (Subversion)
Desirable criteria for the Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL)
• Knowledge of SOA, messaging, event-driven architectures, workflow/BPM
• Experience of source control systems (Git)
• Experience of Agile tooling such as Jira and Confluence
• Ability to create, seek and act upon opportunities to obtain and share knowledge
To apply for the role of Senior Java Developer (Agile, Java, Test, Oracle, SQL), please click the ‘apply now’ button.
Job reference information
|| (Please reference Dice when calling)