CFC Systems build Java control systems which move stock and customer orders around our automated warehouse. They ensure we get the most out of the hardware through routing optimisations and complex control functionality. We also try to get the most out of our warehouse operatives. We are currently building a set of new user process systems using Scala and the Akka Framework to control the movement of our operatives and the assignment of tasks. Our operatives and MHE do a great job of pushing our systems to their limits, this keeps us on our toes and forces us to build reliable, resilient and scalable systems.
In addition to our Control and User Process systems we are responsible for reporting on the performance of the CFC, so those managing it can make sure everything is operating as it should and our customers will get everything they ordered, shipped, on time. Each of our systems produce vast amounts of data. Our reporting platform is responsible for collecting all of this data and processing it, not only so the operation know what is happening now, but so they can see how now compares to yesterday, last week or last year.
CFC Systems is in a really exciting place and we would love to have you join the team and help build the systems which power our fulfillment centres now and in the future.
What we’d like you to do
We have ~10 teams building systems for the different parts of a CFC. A diverse range of technologies are in use across the teams which allows CFC Systems to keep our Engineers and Senior Engineers really interested in what they do every day. Based on your skills and experience you will join one of our development teams and be part of a dynamic set of developer working on exciting projects.
What we look for
- 2.1/1st BSc in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a good numerate degree
- Secondary education in Maths, Physics and/or other numerate subjects
- Java programming skills with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques
- Experience in the full Software Development life-cycle from design to deployment
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
- Demonstrable problem solving skills
- Experience writing scalable, robust code for real-time, multi-threaded, highly available production applications
- Good foundation in Computer Science and its underpinning principles
- Object Oriented skills
- Experience of other languages e.g. Scala, Python, C#
- Source control and build tools (preferably Mercurial, Git, Maven)
- Experience and/or interest in building, truly, production ready systems
- Understanding of relational and NoSql databases
- Exposure to Cloud services on Amazon/Google
- Experience with Docker and/or CoreOS
However, this is not a set in stone requirements list. We recognise the software industry is filled with smart people from so many different backgrounds. If you enjoy being part of the team and if you like: learning fast (through experimentation, self-motivation etc); being autonomous but able to collaborate (sharing knowledge is important to us); craftsmanship and innovation (we never stop questioning how we can be better), then we look forward to hearing from you.
What we can offer you
Technically stretching work is a given. We want you to push technological boundaries and create solutions to problems people haven’t even thought about yet; so we’ll give you the freedom and the tools and the playful, stimulating working environment you need to do what’s never been done before. While red tape’s conspicuous by its absence, rewards are plentiful: as well as a competitive salary and share schemes, benefits include pension scheme, interest-free season ticket loan, free shuttle bus from Hatfield train station and, of course, healthy Ocado staff discounts (and free delivery) across our Webshops including Groceries, Fetch, Sizzle and Fabled. We also have Friday socials on the first Friday of every month, sports clubs such as badminton, running and table tennis (and much more) not to mention our frequently used footsball table.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we will be in contact with shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks, please assume your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Due to the fast paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.
Job reference information
|| (Please reference Dice when calling)