The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence (AI) has an exciting opportunity for a Software Development Engineer in Test based in our Guildford office, responsible for implementing the future of our automated testing strategy as we deliver new, high quality HTML5 web applications.
We are looking for a technically strong professional with experience and knowledge of test automation technologies and implementing test automation frameworks. You will be working in a Scrum team with a focus on automating test cases for web UIs and Rest APIs, and ensuring your team embraces quality and automation as standard and key parts of our engineering process.
This role is vital to further extending our quality and delivery capabilities, and to help achieve this you will be working with cutting edge technologies.
You will join the engineering team in a hands-on role, as part of a Scrum team, to implement our future plans for test automation. This role will focus on enhancing speed to delivery/production, with responsibility for gaining and demonstrating expertise in exciting new technologies, and for ongoing improvements to the test automation approach/tools for our web UIs and APIs.
The responsibilities for this role include:
- Implementing high quality test automation into our scrum teams
- Speeding up our delivery through QA and onto release
- Working with developers and testers to understand product functionality and define testing scope for new features and stories
- Estimating test effort for stories within sprints
- Designing and writing (first and foremost) automated test cases
- Executing tests to the defined scope and within the committed timeframe
- Writing high quality, robust web UI automated tests using Selenium and Java
- Writing high quality, robust Rest API automated tests using Rest Assured and Java
- Non-functional testing (eg. security, performance, accessibility)
- Maintaining regression tests
- Raising, tracking and managing defects
- Introducing and promoting test automation best practices across the Engineering function
- Researching and evaluating established and emerging test automation technologies, and turning that into a successful implementation
The successful candidate will be motivated, and ready to immerse themselves in the product development life cycle from design to delivery.
We are looking for candidates with some of the following technical skills:
Object oriented programming skills (eg. Java
- Creating or maintaining test automation frameworks
- Hands-on Selenium experience (ideally with the page object model approach)
- Familiarity with API testing tools (eg. SoapUI or Rest Assured)
And testing experience in:
- Testing web UIs
- Testing APIs
- Planning, tracking and reporting test activities
- Designing, executing and managing test cases
- Defect management
Plus some of the following skills:
- Ability to turn complex technical concepts into plain language for wider, non-technical audiences
- Problem solving skills to investigate the root cause of issues
- Initiative and innovation in identifying improvements and more efficient test approaches
- Demonstrate strong and confident communication with colleagues and stakeholders
- Embracing new technologies, gaining in depth knowledge and the ability to implement into the team
Knowledge/experience in the following areas is considered beneficial for the role, although training can be provided:
- BDD process and tools (eg. Cucumber)
- Working in a Scrum environment
The NetReveal Social Network Analytics (SNA) engineering team within BAE AI is responsible for the delivery of the next generation of our fraud detection and advanced social network analytics applications, which underpin our solutions.
NetReveal SNA is an award-winning suite of products designed to detect and investigate unusual behaviour patterns in social networks; and is used internationally to detect insurance and banking fraud, tax evasion, unauthorised trading and many other scenarios.
The NetReveal SNA engineering team is part of the Commercial Solutions (CS) division, responsible for building our most leading edge and innovative Financial Crime and Cyber Security products and solutions. As such, this role is also part of the wider CS QA organisation and will offer development opportunities in technical specialisations.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we're constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we'll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you'll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We'll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you'll be much more than just a job title; you'll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today's global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Division Overview: Commercial Solutions
BAE Systems has been in the business of protecting some of the world's most important assets and networks for over 100 years. We apply the same techniques, intelligence and strategy used in defending nations and governments to businesses as well. That's us - Commercial Solutions - a division of BAE Systems that specializes in providing businesses around the globe with the products and services they need to stay protected in today's connected world.
We offer a broad portfolio of on premise, managed and cloud-based products and services that are proven to protect our clients against financial crime and persistent cyber attackers.
We aim to be a global industry-leading, cyber and financial crime products business and will do this by leveraging the BAE Systems brand and by delivering higher grade security solutions for our clients.
Help us secure a connected world by being an unseen hero. Apply now and be inspired.