Locations: Salford, Shipley, or Southend
Closing date: 29/12/17
The Data Engineering Delivery Group is one of 11 internal IT delivery
groups within CDIO (Chief Digital Information Office); CDIO is a part of
HMRC, however is seen as our IT division in which we undertake our
digital transformation. This delivery group provides data analytics and
reporting services for the whole of HMRC across legacy and new systems,
with a focus on investing in future technologies to create the most
digitally-advanced tax authority in the world. Data Engineering provides
support to HMRC’s Hadoop-based Enterprise Data Hub (EDH) services, is
primarily based in Manchester and also has a presence across sites in
London, Southend and Telford.
The role of Data Solution Architect exists to analyse IT requirements
and produce data solutions through the high level design documentation
that is in place. You will be expected to represent your designs to
stakeholders and IT developers, working in a fast paced and incremental
development environment using Agile methodology within a scrum team.
Data Engineering prides itself on operating with an open,
forward-thinking and hard working environment in which your ideas will
be welcomed and you will get to work with passionate, knowledgeable
individuals and teams alongside being enabled to learn new skills, gain
valuable experience and grow along with our current digital
- Create designs for data centric solutions producing relevant
documentation, ensuring they are compliant with Departmental data and
- Apply data modelling techniques against a range of database
technologies to establish, modify or maintain a data structure and its
associated components based on the IT requirements presented.
- Produce data mapping documents, showing traceability across data
- Knowledge of a range of applications to support Data Engineering
- Mentoring of a Junior Data Solution Architect may be required.
Demonstrable experience in several of the following is essential:
- Demonstrable experience of working successfully in either Data
Analysis or Solution Design roles with specific data focus on Data
- Experience of successfully creating and implementing designs for
data centric solutions.
- Experience of Data Modelling.
- Experience of Database schema definition.
- Experience of RDBMS.
- Broad IT experience with in-depth understanding of data strategies,
data models, ETL design & development.
- Experience with Data Security.
- Has a background in a data analyst / developer / designer role with
a range of experience.
- Proven experience in developing large scale IT Data Architectures
and in entity relationship, dimensional modelling and semantic models in
a complex, multi supplier environment.
- Solid understanding of Big Data solutions in a data analytics
- Solid understanding of NO SQL technology.
- Solid experience of data management technologies and approaches.
- Solid experience of data exploitation tools such as Log Analytics or
- Technical Experience and or training (demonstrable experience in
several of the following is highly desirable):
- Data modelling - experience with entity, logical and physical models
- Data-focused technologies and their practical implementation and
operation, including the Hadoop ecosystem.
- Data technologies and approaches, including some or all of the
following: Hadoop, NoSQL databases, relational databases, data
warehousing, Data Marts.
- Database Technologies (NoSql, PostgreSQL, Hbase, Oracle, DB2, MS SQL
- Data exploitation tools, including some or all of the following:
Pentaho Business Analytics, SAS Enterprise Guide / Enterprise Miner, SAP
- Data quality tools such as SAS Data Management Studio.
- Transformation tools, including some or all of the following:
Informatica Powercenter, Pentaho Data Integrator, SAP Data Services.
- Design of Risking systems implemented in BRMS, SAS RTDM.
- Data transfer methodology including the likes of sFTP and FTPs,
JDBC, Flume, Kafka.
- Different languages, data formats and APIs, SOAP / Restful services
including JSON, XML,
- Security approaches and tools, e.g. encryption, tokenisation.
- Use of various collaboration tools including JIRA, Confluence etc.
- Experience using an Architecture Repository and adhering to its use
- Experience working on a Cloud environment such as AWS, Azure.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and with impact
to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with minimal direction in a large
often challenging environment to influence and drive change internally
and with 3rd party suppliers.
- Be a team player coaching and mentoring aspiring colleagues into
motivated and delivery focused individuals.
- A qualification in an IT based subject would be advantageous
For informaion regarding pension, benefits and to apply, please visit
Civil Service Jobs.