Amazon continues to grow and is hiring for IT opportunities in Rugby.
IT Support Engineer
Our overall mission is simple: we want Amazon to be the place where our
customers can find, discover and buy anything online. Whatever our
customers want, we will find the means to deliver it. With your help,
Amazon will continue to enable people to discover new worlds and
This is your chance to make history.
Role: IT Support Engineer
The Amazon IT teams keep our business running smoothly by resolving
complex hardware, software, server and infrastructure issues, with both
on-site and on-call capacity for our Operations network.
As an IT Support Engineer you will report to the IT Manager on your site
and will be responsible for working closely with the business and fellow
engineers to implement and maintain critical infrastructure elements as
well as day to day support to meet our operations present and future
Besides your day to day activities, there will be plenty of
opportunities for you to get involved in projects and innovate. You will
be a key part of a multinational team and thrive in delivering
high-quality results and always be on the lookout for improvements.
Business Area: Operations - Fulfilment centre
Operations is at the heart of the Amazon customer experience. Each
action we undertake is done on behalf of our customers, as meeting their
expectations makes us feel good.
The Operations teams in our Fulfilment Centres are responsible for
controlling the vast range of fast paced inventory from inbound to
outbound and work very hard to ensure that our customers receive what
they want, when they want it.
You will provide a support service that ensures all IT equipment and
infrastructure is running to its optimum performance and that all
departmental Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Service Level
Agreements (SLAs) are met on your site. You will also be running
projects across the site, working closely with the business and fellow
engineers, to implement changes and/or additions to the site's
technology infrastructure to support changing business and IT requirements.
The extent of your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• The review, revision and execution of change management requests as required.
• Manage the availability of all IT equipment and infrastructure through
continuous improvement and continuously look to improve equipment
efficiencies and cost reductions accordingly.
• Perform random site audits on technical infrastructure to ensure
adherence to latest Amazon IT and Health and Safety guidelines.
• Act as a point of contact for contractors or external suppliers and
clearly communicate technical issues and Amazon standards.
• Undertake project management:
o Act as a single point of contact for projects.
o To provide technical support/input to site and team projects and initiatives.
o To keep key stakeholders informed of progress of projects and maintain
o To provide sanity check and technical execution of projects.
• Carry out ad-hoc requests as and when required, supporting a wide
• Continuously be focused on your customers, delivering an outstanding
level of service.
• Coordinate asset and inventory management including checks / audits in
line with standards and processes including Return Merchandise
Authorization (RMA) processes with suppliers.
• Interact with suppliers, request quotes and purchase equipment in
accordance with policies, budgets and operational demand.
• Represent the IT department in site meetings / conference calls.
• Produce weekly reports covering metrics and work performed.
• Contribute to sites on call schedule.
• Provide mentoring and training to technicians and other engineers and
act as technical contact for remote support teams as and when required.
Please note: The position will involve some physical labour. IT Support
Engineers execute physical work e.g. working in confined spaces. A
drivers liscence will also be required for the role
Required qualifications and skills:
The successful candidate will have:
• MS Windows System Support experience.
• A background in Networking - LAN / WAN and Wireless.
• Holds a detailed understanding of core internet technologies - Routing
and Switching, DNS, DHCP, mail transport, OSI Model.
• Telecom knowledge including VOIP / SIP and mobile technologies advantageous.
• Experience working in a customer-facing technical role which requires
solid technical aptitude, excellent written and oral communications
skills and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels and
in different situations.
• Project management abilities and technical task execution experience.
• Strong analytical skills with proven problem solving ability.
• Proven ability to operate in high pressure situations, successfully
handle multiple competing priorities and possess a high level of
discipline while displaying a high degree of flexibility and professionalism.
• Experience of data cabling / Computer Facilities knowledge.
• Ability to develop clear and concise documentation. • Demonstrated
willingness to learn and apply new technology.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
• Vendor certification of the following would be beneficial: Linux/Unix
System Support, MS Windows System Support, Cisco knowledge - LAN / WAN
• Telecom knowledge including VOIP / SIP and mobile technologies.
• IT / ICT further education qualification.
• Previous experience in a dynamic environment with a high degree of
customer service focus.
• Help Desk / Technical support management experience.
• Ability to develop the skills needed to support specific Fulfillment
Centre Automated Systems.
• Ability to coordinate with corporate-based support groups to implement
• Proven ability to learn and apply new technology.
About our rewards
We'll expect you to go the extra mile, but we'll also make sure you're
well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary, stock units and site
performance-related pay potential, we offer a whole host of other
benefits, including an employee discount.
Additionally, you will find yourself in a stimulating environment where
you can develop processes as well as yourself as an individual by
working with some of the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our
rapidly growing organisation also offers many opportunities for building
a diverse and rewarding career.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that
employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make
recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your
passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize
Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of
companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that
information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your
qualifications for this or other job vacancies.