The IT Technical Architect, Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence
will be the technology leader in the data warehousing and business team
providing technical oversight to other developers, designing solutions
in the data warehousing and business intelligence areas, advising on
technology and techniques to optimize the use of data to produce
information for reporting, analysis and dashboards. The role is to
ensure that systems and processes are designed to return maximum value
from data to the organization. Armed with a deep understanding of
architectural principles and standards, with skills in Enterprise level
data analysis, relationship database modelling, ETL, and data
integrations of over five years, s/he will work with a cross-functional
team to input to the BI strategy, define and support roadmaps, and
- Being the technical expert within the DW and BI team supporting a
matrixed team of developers to ensure that IT delivery is consistent and
meets scope / schedule / resource requirements across a portfolio of
technology projects and enhancements.
- Outstanding technical skills should be paired with good
communications skills; working closely with other developers and
business analyst. Interfacing with business streams leaders as and when required.
- Understanding of business processes in Finance, supply chain, CRM,
Marketing, Sales Operations etc would be advantageous.
- Reviewing designs of proposed developments to ensure good quality and
robust techniques are planned to be used. Ensuring compliance to the
architectural principles and ensuring good governance over developments/deployments.
- Working as part of a dynamic growing team, delivering best-in-class
B.I. capabilities using the Microsoft B.I. stack. Focus is primarily in
delivering a data warehouse and datamarts that are utilised by tools
like SSAS cubes, Cognos and Tableau. As such, the main skills focus is
SQL Server, SSIS and SSAS rather than SSRS.
- Deep level subject matter expertise across the board, and proven
ability to deliver projects in a fast paced and changing business
environment. Well versed in Big Data techniques.
- Feeding into and supporting the roadmap of future capability in data
warehousing and BI.
- Build out and support our existing data warehouse using an Enterprise
- Contributing to and assisting in moving the existing solutions from
an in-house designed solution to a HANA/Hadoop model most likely in a
third party support instance like Azure or AWS.
- Assisting and mentoring other team members
- Supporting and documenting coding standards and source control.
Supporting, improving and automating current processes and developing efficiencies.
- Estimating, planning, designing, developing and supporting Business
Intelligence solutions to agreed specifications and timescales.
- Cleansing, manipulating/transforming and formatting large datasets to
enable data quality improvements.
- Supporting end to end data migration and project plans. Taking
responsibility for project deliverables.
- Ensuring data availability and uptime of the BI systems whether from
data reception through to the surfacing of the data in reporting tools.
- Providing data modelling and data onboarding advice to other members
of the team
- Being available to help in any area of the team.
- Working with other Technical Architects in other teams in IT and the
business as well as contributing to the Architects forums etc Working
with wider architecture team to assist in developing the wider
enterprise architecture roadmap, applications projects and impact on
- Supporting the IT strategy, fostering a culture consistent with
Sophos and IT mission, vision and values.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in a senior IT BI role, supporting BI and data warehousing applications.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft BI stack (SQL Servers 2008, 2012R2,
2014, 2016, SSIS and SSAS)
- Experienced designing and implement Data warehousing solutions.
- SQL Server 2012 or later.
- Experience developing complex SQL queries, MDX, stored procedures and
triggers required. Table valued functions.
- Understanding of dimensional modelling. Kimball preferred.
- Strong problem solving, exceptional numeracy, analytical rigor and
attention to detail.
- Ability to translate business needs into technical specifications.
- Strong project management and organizations skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving company environment
- Deep understanding and management of waterfall and agile-based
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills –
ability to communicate across and up the organization including internal
communication to gain buy-in on technology strategy, implementation, and
Ideally BSc/BA; an MBA or similar advanced degree is a plus.