Live Operations Lead
Salary: £62,700 - £69,300
With 60000+ staff and 50m customers, HMRC is one of the biggest
organisations in the UK, running the largest digital operation in
Government and one of the biggest IT estates in Europe. We have six
modern, state-of-the-art digital delivery centres where multiple cross
functional agile teams thrive in one of the most dynamic and innovative
environments in the UK. We are expanding our Case Management Delivery
Group and are recruiting into a number of posts within the Revenue &
Customs Digital Technology Service in Southend and Telford.
Summary of the role:
The Live Operations Lead is responsible and accountable for the Live
Support team within the Delivery Group. This person will manage the team
of Service Operations Managers, Application Analysts (including Senior
Application Analysts) and Problem Analysts. Within this role they will
ensure the Live Support team delivers on all its obligations to monitor,
maintain, fix and improve the Live Services supported by the Delivery Group.
They will report into the Central Live Services Lead, who is part of
the Delivery Group’s SLT and will be part of the Live Services senior
management team. They will take full responsibility for the work they
undertake, which will often be self-initiated and they will be on point
to make decisions that impact the whole Live Support function and will
have significant influence over the Live Services team as well as
executing effective stakeholder management with their peers in the
Central live Services team and with key business owners within HMRC.
The successful candidate will exhibit strong leadership qualities and
will be passionate about emerging technologies and tooling, keeping up
to date with industry change and be motivated to operate independently
within an Agile Delivery and DevOps framework operating model.
- Executing a variety of ITIL based disciplines such as (Incident
management, - Problem management, Event management, Patch Management, IT
Security Management, IT service continuity & Availability and
- Effective people management for a virtual operations team running 24
x 7 production operations to ensure availability to the service within
the agreed OLA or ITSLA and executing effective pipeline management and
resource management to ensure operations teams are sized and skilled appropriately.
- Optimising and maximising the performance of IT operational
infrastructure, to include both the database and application platforms,
to ensure achievement of effective cost control and maximum cost
efficiency is derived from the supporting infrastructure and computing resources
- Maintaining and managing g the Delivery Group’s IT systems to ensure
the smooth daily running of IT operations
- Driving operational consistency and technical excellence in the Case
Management central operational teams.
- Advocating a culture of Continuous Operational improvement being
actively engaged in leading and delivering operational improvements both
on premise and in the Cloud environment
- Partnering with other Delivery Groups and business stakeholders
through provision of a comprehensive range of operational services,
ensuring adherence to HMRC operations guidelines, processes, standards,
methodologies and frameworks
- Working with the Central Live Services Lead in the development of an
Operational Improvement plan based on the Delivery Group’s and the wider
organisational strategic direction
- Undertaking capacity management to ensure the infrastructure and
storage is proactively managed to meet the demands of the service
- Working in a fast paced environment, with involvement outside of your
sphere of influence, with freedom to innovate and most importantly being
able to adapt to frequent changes
- Taking the lead in pro-active identification, mitigation and removal
of operational risks.
- Leading the planning and control of maintenance schedules to ensure
operational efficiency and security.
Essential Knowledge, Criteria and Skills:
- Degree-qualified in a technical discipline or have a proven track
record of at least 7 years, demonstrating relevant equivalent experience
in an operational/technical service environment role
- Experience with managing all tiers of a technology stack supporting
- Able to handle complex tasks, demonstrating skills in leading
- Able to manage technical architecture change, lead operational
improvement programmes and develop IT infrastructure and operational improvements.
- Knowledge of database, middleware, operating systems and application
environments. With a detailed understanding of ITIL processes.
- Innovative and proactive planner with strong proactive approach to
- Strong ability to communicate professionally and effectively,
including reporting operational status to the Delivery Group Senior
Leadership team and to be able to influence decisions and strategic
direction. Supported by excellent written and verbal communication and
the ability to communicate the right level of technical information
based on the audience.
- Experience in software development processes, applications, databases
and IT infrastructure support, both on premise and in Cloud.
- Strong understanding of service delivery principles
- Experience of working in enterprise environments, managing risk,
compliance and governance.
- Proactive, result oriented and resilient with an ability to work
under pressure to tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
Desirable Knowledge, Criteria and Skills:
- Unix experience
- Oracle, SQLServer and OpenSource database experience
- Knowledge of Virtualisation Technologies and Cloud providers
- Experience in monitoring tools such as Zabbix;
- Understanding of Agile deliveries, collaborative tooling and
techniques (Jira/Kanban) operating within a DevOps framework
- ITIL OSA (Operation Support and Analysis) Certification
- ITIL CSI (Continual Service Improvement) Certification
- Educated to degree or equivalent standard
Revenue & Customs Digital Technology Services offers a wide range
of Employee Benefits comprising:
- Corporate Group Income Protection Pension - Defined Contributions Scheme
- Leave entitlement - 22 days on joining, rising to 25 days after 1
year and 27 days after 10 years’ service
- Corporate life assurance (x 4 salary)
- Voluntary travel insurance
- Voluntary personal accident cover
- Healthcare Cash Plan
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Non-contractual bonus scheme
- Interest free season ticket loan
To apply for the Live Operations Lead role, please click the'Apply now' button.