Services Operations Engineer
Rare: we're not your typical developer. Over 30 years in the game-making
business, every moment has been dedicated to kicking out one beloved
title after another. We've tried all manner of new things in that time,
but if there's one thing we've truly come to believe, it's the
importance of having fun every single day and infusing it into
everything we create. That's the core of who we are - check out the Rare
Replay collection for three whirlwind decades of evidence. We strive to
keep Rare a fantastic place to work, from its beautiful location and
state-of-the-art facilities to a strong focus on work/life balance.
If you're a keen gamer, chances are you've already caught wind of our
epic shared world pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, revealed at E3 2015
and currently in Technical Alpha phase with players from our Insider
Programme. With every day bringing new challenges and discoveries in
equal measure, there's never been a more rewarding time to join our
Rare is looking for a Services Operations Engineer to join the wider
Software Engineering team. The Services team is a small team with a huge
responsibility. Here at Rare we practise continuous delivery, which
means that services and game updates can be published to a public
audience at any time. While Sea of Thieves is still in active
development, it's already operated as a production service, and as we
make our way to general availability we need to ensure that we have all
the tools and procedures in place to be able to deliver and operate the
game at scale.
Working within the Services team and in collaboration with the
Operations and Pipeline teams, you will be constantly working to improve
all aspects of the game's management and operations.
As an Engineer at Rare, you'll tackle tough problems with little
guidance and will help to set the direction of the group you're working
with. We promise you'll have access to a range of challenges that will
test and broaden your experience. But most of all, you'll be part of a
team of friendly, highly talented developers who like nothing better
than sharing their own challenges and their expertise with you.
Working closely with Services Engineering, you will be continuously
working to improve services operations at Rare including but not limited to:
- Subscription and account management
- Configuration management
- Audit controls
- Backup and disaster recovery planning
- Capacity planning
- Monitoring the cloud landscape
- Working with the Pipeline team to identify areas for improvement in
the release process
- Identifying and implementing improvements to the release process
- Provisioning and deployment pipelines for services
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Rock-solid software design, programming and debugging skills in,
possibly, a range of languages.
- Be enthusiastic about modern development techniques and demonstrably
keen to apply them to games. We're kind of test freaks; you have been warned.
- We're passionate about learning and improving both ourselves and
everything about the studio. We'll want you to be the same and to get
involved with helping us enhance our culture.
- Love the challenge of doing hard things, and in particular enjoy
developing simple tools and processes to enable everyone to be able to
do those hard things too.
- Be level-headed and value-focused, so as to prioritise conflicting requests.
- We expect you to have experience in at least one of these areas:
- Implementing and maintaining Continuous Integration systems
- Software configuration management tools
- Version control systems
- Monitoring systems