Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java)
Salary: Highly Competitive + bonus & benefits
The Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java):
As a Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java)you will work as part
of the SophosLabs team, protecting businesses from known and emerging
malware- viruses, rootkits and spyware- and other computer threats like
phishing, spam and scams. Working alone, in pairs or as part of a larger
multi-national group you will develop products in order to enhance
functionality, increase performance and increase integration
capabilities. You will mentor other members of the team and often
provide a strong voice and leadership within team
Main Duties of the Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java):
Work in an agile development, to scope, design and implement a variety
of resilient and scalable systems.
Applying development practice (unit tests, code reviews, functional
testing, continuous integration & security ) as agreed within
current agile team.
Work with sys admin and operations team(s), to handle incidents &
maintain existing systems software and the operations they support,
including participation in a Rota-based after hours on-call system.
Identify and action areas that need refactoring and or deeper test coverage.
Contribute to design and architectural reviews of new systems and
assessing impact of changes on existing systems.
Experience and Skills of the Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java):
You will have an analytical mind and be a natural problem solver
capable of solving complex issues both on your own and as part of a
wider team. Your preferred style will allow you to plan and organize
effectively ensuring that the desired result is achieved in the most
effective way. You will feel at home liaising with the wider business,
listening to and quickly understanding their pressures and pinch points
and then initiating action to create a solution.
• Essential Skills & Experience of the Software Developer
(Developer, Python, Java):
• Advanced knowledge of at least one of Python, Perl, Java.
• Advanced knowledge of at least one of Windows, Linux.
• Experience of working within a demanding environment across a wide
variety of systems and technologies
• Knowledge and experience of Agile development methodologies
• Effective verbal and written communication with small technical and
non-technical audiences outside of team
• Ability to mentor & coach junior colleagues on technical issues
and problems in specific areas.
• Ability to constructively review and support innovations from others
• Ability to discuss constructive feedback regarding own deliveries and idea.
• Transferable skills to new languages and frameworks
• Demonstrated pragmatic problem solving
• Ability to focus on quality driven software development practices
• Ability to assess technical options and propose best based on
• Ability to identify project and operational risks and discuss
mitigations to them in team forums
Desired Skills & Experience of the Software Developer (Developer,
• Cloud Computing, especially AWS
• Developing with virtualized environments (KVM, VirtualBox)
• Relational databases: MySQL, PostgressSQL, MS SQL Server.
• Version Control Systems (SVN, Perforce)
Benefits of the Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java):
• The remuneration package includes:
• Annual holiday entitlement of 25 days
• Group personal pension scheme
• Private medical insurance
• Critical illness insurance
• Death in service policy (life assurance)
• Permanent health insurance
• Travel insurance
• Personal accident cover
Working conditions at Sophos are very good and include:
Subsidised staff restaurant
Free beverages, fruit and pastries
NOTICE TO RECRUITERS & PLACEMENT AGENCIES
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit
resumes to any person or email address at Sophos prior to having a
signed agreement from Human Resources. Sophos is not liable for and will
not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency.
Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will
be considered your company's gift to Sophos and may be forwarded to our
recruiters for their attention. Thank you.
To apply for the Software Developer (Developer, Python, Java) role,
please click the ‘Apply now’ button.