In a nutshell
You will work within the Sainsbury's Digital & Technology team to
help deliver a wide range of software solutions to create value, drive
efficiency and increase performance for the business. You will be a key
part of Sainsbury's Digital & Technology strategy to build high
quality software products whenever value can be added.
Your role will involve bringing industry leading automated test
engineering skills to a cross functional engineering team. You will be
expected to train colleagues in best practice test approaches as well as
getting hands on and helping to deliver a strong testing strategy to
drive Sainsbury's Engineering strategy forward to both ensure delivery
against Sainsbury's vision and Digital & Technology's objectives.
What I need to do
- Lead the usage of TDD and BDD and know when
to use what.
- Ensure a high standard of testing on the
products you are responsible for, aligning to the wider testing
- Always automate testing wherever possible and
sensible covering unit, functional, integration, behavioural,
performance and security testing.
- Demonstrate your broad
knowledge of testing tools, frameworks and approaches and know what
to use for each scenario.
- Use gap analysis and test
coverage to help ensure quality.
- Test and test against
legacy applications and platforms.
- Integrate tests into
build pipelines and know what to execute when and where.
- Get hands - on both with testing and code including pairing with
other engineers to teach and learn.
- Mentor your fellow team
colleagues in best practice test engineering using your
- Do your part in shaping a world class engineering
function by bringing your experience of cutting edge testing
techniques and technologies into the business.
- Ensure your
test approach meets the requirements of the product you are
- Experience in testing of Big Data including,
Hadoop, Hive and knowledge of Scala to create an automation
framework would be advantageous.
- Encourage and participate
in communities of practice to ensure we share best practice across
the engineering teams.
- Work collaboratively and be an
active contributor to continuous improvement within a team, within
the testing community of practice and within the division providing
honest and open feedback based on your experience.
with the Agile Coaches and Scrum Masters to ensure Agile and Lean
principles are being followed.
How I will succeed
- Create and facilitate the creation of high
- Demonstrate and teach best test
engineering practice including TDD/BDD.
- Ensure test
frameworks are appropriately integrated into CI/CD pipelines.
- Use the right frameworks, tools and techniques for the job at
hand, ensuring alignment to the wider testing strategy that you will
- Help define and implement industry leading test
- Automate as much testing as is
- Increase the level of test knowledge
and skill within the team.
- Ensure good coverage is in place
for all types of testing including performance and security.
- Facilitate well thought out testing decisions.
- Successfully test both new build and legacy applications.
- Help increase Sainsbury's standard of testing.
the Scrum Master in ensuring our Agile ways of working utilising the
Scrum framework are practiced.
What I need to know
- How to create excellent, best practice
- How to automate as much testing as possible
including automated V&P and security testing.
- Be an
expert in TDD and BDD and know when to use each.
experience of the Secure Software Development Life Cycle including
build pipelines (CI/CD) and infrastructure (AWS).
- What gap
analysis is and how to use it.
- Understand the positives and
negatives of test coverage and how to effectively utilise it.
- How to test legacy applications and how that aligns to new build
- Practical experience of a multitude of
different technologies and engineering practices through extensive
industry experience or computer science qualifications.
knowledgeable of numerous well documented patterns and techniques
for completing the Scrum framework
- Experience leading and
mentoring colleagues of different skill levels within a large
What I need to show
- Industry leading test engineering skills
including automation of all types of testing.
- A solid
understanding of TDD/BDD and CI/CD.
- What testing
frameworks, tools and processes to use and when.
- Be a great
communicator. You will be working with a diverse community of people
with various styles of communication. We are looking for people who
are dynamic, articulate & confident to interact, engage and
- Be a good listener - Hearing and understanding the
needs of team members is a vital part of your role.
- Ability to influence upwards to the Software Engineering
- A strong ability to deal with complex problems that
have not been faced before in an efficient and effective way.
- An ability to manage your time efficiently between engineering
and team mentoring.
- Strong skills and knowledge of
situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement,
empowerment and increasing transparency.
- A drive to
constantly improve the way we work. Good is not good enough. �
Ability to multi-task and work flexibly.
attention to detail.
Resources available to me
- You will have access to the Software
Engineering Manager who will work closely with you.
will have access to other experienced Test Engineers and Senior Test
Engineers through a community of practice.
- You will also
have other experts such as the Scrum Master, Lead Agile Coach, Head
of Technology and Product experts to support you.
- You will
have access to training budget.
What decision I can make
- Testing decisions that meet the
requirements of the business.
- Process improvements.